Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Confession: A Roman Catholic App

   Hello! I was searching through the app world the other day when I stumbled upon a very unique application with very bipolar reviews. The app is titled; Confession: A Roman Catholic App, and it is made by Little i Apps, LLC and it was published February 10, 2011. It currently holds a 4 Star rating with 60 reviews and cost 1.99.  This app is designed to be used during confession, claiming to be the perfect aid to any penitent. While the title seems to denote that this confession is in lieu of a real confession with a priest, that is not what is does. It seems that this app is geared towards those who have been away from confession for a long period of time and are looking to refresh their memories before returning, and this is the reason that I like this app. I am a Catholic, and I understand that Catholicism is having trouble cementing itself into the new generation(which, unfortunately, includes me). I think that this app would be great as a refresher for  younger/rusty Catholics, and maybe with a little more knowledge the Catholic religion will gain new and regain old followers. 

Unfortunately, the large amount of positive reviews are balanced by a multitude of very negative reviews too. Religion is sacred to many people, and I feel that this app is walking a very thin line between science and religion. Is there room for technology in the various religious sects? I think that there is room in every avenue of life for technology, and if this app increases religious tolerance and bolsters the Catholic religion, then how can it be portrayed as a bad thing?

Check it out and let me hear your take!  Does anyone own this app and wish to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment